Thursday, April 25, 2013

R&R in Brugge

So for the past few days, I've been trying to figure out the logistics for doing everything I want to do. Specifically, I was really trying to cram in a 4 hour roundtrip train ride, plus biking. Lats night at dinner I was talking to Mitch and he said "You can't do everything." Seems pretty obvious but when he said it, I began to let go of this crazy side trip.


This morning, I woke up at 6:45 am. I thought my watch said 8:45 am, though, and was bummed out that it was dark and rainy... until I realized I was far too tired to be qualified to read a watch, and went back to bed.

When I woke up (take 2) at 8:15 am, it was bright and sunny. And with that, the last of my "do everything" mentality slipped away. All I wanted to do was ride a bike. Spending 4 hours on a train in sunny warm weather sounded like hell.

After breakfast, I asked my host about using a bike and she showed me which I could use and gave me a map to the super cool Flanders bike routes, as well as directions out of Brugge. The Flanders bike routes use a number system, so you bike from say 20 to 21 to 13 - and the signs tell you which way to go to the next point. Very simple, no Flemish required! Anyway - I said I would take a walk then be back for the bike.

I walked to the bell tower, which I really want to do... but 8 Euro?! And a long line. Bah. I went to 2 bottle shops and got a lot of beer... this cannot all come home with me, I don't have enough clothing to pad it!

Then it was off on the bike. I thought I would bike an easy 5 km from Brugge to Damme. Well, last year's vacation should have told me that 5 km would easily become 7 or more with wrong turns. Then, after lunch in Damme, I thought I would ride a bit more to Ostkerke...until I saw signs to Sluis, Netehrlands. Then I needed to do that.

Sluis was very cute. Nice little city center that I walked around before having a pannekoeken with chocolate and a beer. I bought a ton of cheese, too, at the little fromageries. And I was incredibly pleased with myself for biking to another country! So much so that I meandered on the way back, taking at least twice as long as necessary. But oh, it was nice to bike. And to get a teeny sunburn. And to know I biked at least 20 miles today!

I skipped dinner tonight, opting for some of my cheese instead. I have an action-packed day planned tomorrow, and pretty much through the end of the trip... so I as very, very glad to have had it pointed out to me that you can't do it all. Sometimes you just have to let go of something to make time for the things that make you smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment